Saturday, June 13, 2020

Vegetables as Models


Vegetables, Models for the Ages



 Eggplant, radishes and turnip    oil    14 x 11

After the new experience of ordering in vegetables during quarantine, I look at them all grouped together and know they are perfect models. The subject matter is timeless. They always look their best fresh from the market, which is motivation enough for me to paint smart. By this, I mean to paint the 'first look' and keep it. Three sessions at most for their optimum luster to hold.

Regardless, after three days I'm ready to think about how I want to prepare them in meals. 

Then they've earned their keep, perfect for still life and then giving up their lusciousness for nutritious dishes. Does their posing enhance my meals in the long run? Do I as cook, take extra care to see that these vegetables are used in dishes worthy of their service? So far, it seems so. Food preparation is a creative act too. It's what you make of the ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment